Do you know what to do to protect your family and pets this season? Here are 5 tips from Pure Solutions to help you get started!
- Know what to look for. For humans, a bite from a Lyme Disease-carrying tick can appear as a red, expanding rash, typically in a bulls-eye pattern. Symptoms can include fatigue, chills, fever, headache, muscle and joint aches, and swollen lymph nodes. Pets can exhibit swelling, recurrent lameness due to inflammation of the joints, lack of appetite, and depression. If you observe any of these symptoms, seek medical attention immediately.
- Before you get out and play, you should cut tall grasses, trim back brush, and remove leaf piles. Ticks are common in these areas, so eliminate their favorite environment.
- Ticks easily attach themselves to clothing and can be a nuisance even after you are out of the yard. Be sure to put your clothes in the dryer and run it on high for 10 minutes to kill ticks that may have been carried inside.
- Everyone, including pets and children, should be given a thorough check as soon as they are back inside. Humans should take a shower, carefully checking hair and body for ticks, literally with a fine tooth comb. Pets should be thoroughly groomed, removing ticks with a Tick Key. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJe4_pQGNGA *Pro tip – place any ticks you remove in a sealed sandwich bag, labeled with the date, and store it in the freezer for testing in case symptoms show up later.
- While some may think the severe winter helped hold off the ticks, the snow actually acted as a blanket to insulate and retain the geothermal energy stored beneath Earth’s surface. As temperatures became warmer, the ticks reactivated and laid thousands of eggs. By controlling the population of the adult ticks as they emerge from dormancy, you lay the groundwork for a decreased number of eggs being laid, which will reduce the overall population for the season. Make sure to do your research and treat with a family, pet, and nature-safe product.
Protection starts with prevention. Pure Solutions offers PROGAEA™ by Pure Solutions, a family of all-natural products which utilize proprietary botanical extracts and oils for outdoor services such as tick, mosquito, and deer control. PROGAEA Tick & Mosquito disrupts the neurotransmitter function in target insects, and provides residual control of the treatment area. PROGAEA is National Organic Program (NOP) compliant, making it safe to be applied around children, pets, and delicate plant life, and has no aquatic toxicity. Pure Solutions employs a careful and strategic application method in order to provide the most effective service without disrupting the environment. For more information on how you can start treating your lawn, neighborhood, or commercial property, visit puresolutions.com.